Thursday, March 20, 2008

He Said She Said - Love in February

He Said

Here is what I know about love.
It comes once a year on February 14th.
That is the one day that I know I am
loved. People tell me. Cards tell me.
Balloons tell me. On a good Valentine's
Day, candy even tells me.
Let's look at the other 364 days of the
year. Where are my presents? Where are
my cards? Where are my flowers? I want
to be loved all the year round. This
part-time love isn't working for me
anymore. I want everyday to be Valentine's
Day. Instead, every day is like Halloween,
spooky and scary.
According to Hallmark, every month there
is a holiday of some sort, but if they
had it their way, every day would be a
holiday. I am offering them that chance.
Make every day a day of Love. It would
certainly satisfy my love needs. I don't
require presents, cards, flowers, or candy
every day, even though I could get used
to it. However, a love nudge, holding hands,
a little kissy mouth, anything to let me
know I am appreciated daily would be great!
This might take away from February 14th a
little bit, but think about how we would
feel with the whole world being in love
each and every day. I am starting to feel
a little like John Lennon and the Beatles.
I could have asked for every day to be like
Christmas, but I know that is way out of
bounds. It would take too many decorations
and too much money to make that work,even
for Hallmark. I will just keep asking for
the love day with the hope that someone(hint
hint)might just hear me and respond. Just
tell me you love me and show it by your
daily touch.
Happy Valentine's every day of the year.

She Said

But I like Valentine's Day and the fact that
it only comes once a year makes it really
special. Too much of a good thing diminishes
it's worth. For me, Valentine's Day has always
been a time to let my special someone and my
children know how much I love them.
On Valentine's Day, when the children were
still at home, I always had little gifts and
candy waiting for them in their chairs at
breakfast before they left for school. It was
a nice way to start their day. Of course my
significant other always received more presents
and or attention because like he said, it's a
day to show unconditional love.
You do bring up some good points, however.
Showering that special person with gifts, flowers,
candy every day wouldn't mean as much as little
acts of kindness such as helping out around the
house without being asked, planning a night out
as a surprise, or doing favors for in-laws. Those
are genuine acts of love and respect for our
relationship.
Remember the night we "kidnapped" our friends and
took them to a restaurant without telling them
where we were going? They even called their son
and laughingly told him that in case he didn't see
them again, they were with us! It was all in good
fun and they knew how much we cared about them.
We don't have to be "in" love with someone to show
them that we love them.
During the eulogy that you gave at the burial of
your best friend, it was extremely evident how
much you loved and cherished him. It didn't have
to be Valentine's Day for you to express those
feelings. At the funeral home visitation, our
former classmates expressed loving thoughts for
each other, which is what this time of year should
be...a reminder that on Valentine's Day,it would
be a good idea to tell all the special people in
your life that you love them.

No comments: