Sunday, March 11, 2012

Teaching Behavioral Modifications

He Said She Said

He Said

One of the reasons (among many) that you and I didn't
date in high school was because you thought I was a hooligan.
Well, I was...and I wasn't. I did enjoy the occasional prank.
I did enjoy questioning my teachers if I thought they were wrong.
And I did enjoy my occasional nap while in the classroom. If
that makes me a hooligan, then I am guilty as charged. All of
this leads me to the behavioral modifications of yesteryear
and today's conduct rules. When you come home from school
and tell me some of the behavior problems you
encounter today, it sounds far more serious than the trivial
shenanigans that I use to pull in school. I got sent home
for three days suspension because I wouldn't comb my hair
to the teachers' liking. I told her that if she would comb
out that bun on top of her head, then I would stop wearing
my hair like the Beatles. Back to the office I went. If a
student throws a chair at another student in your
class, he/she may get In School Suspension. I got into a
fight one time and the principal spanked me with a paddle.
Then when I got home,I got spanked by my father, my mother,
and probably my sister. Today, the punishment would be less
severe. None of this is your fault of course because of the
guidelines you have to follow but when I hear stories like this,
I think that if I was a teacher, the students
wouldn't get away with so much.

THEY WOULD HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE WRATH OF MR. OLDHAM.

One visit with me and they would behave all year long.

She Said

Aretha Franklin, where are you? R E S P E C T !!! The major
ingredient missing in the classroom today that was alive and
well in your day is respect. Many of the students who
misbehave today haven't been taught to respect their parents,
or themselves so why should they respect their teachers or the
rules set before them? You use to be a teachers' worst nightmare
because you were so defiant and it's ironic today when you
explain to me exactly why students are so belligerent
and what makes then tick. You should know. The principal had
a paddle with your name on it and it even had holes in it so
he could swing harder and faster. Teachers would end up in
court today for abuse.Freedom of speech is a whole new ball
game in today's climate. A large majority of students don't
see anything wrong with talking back to teachers because they
are allowed to get away with it at home. They don't do homework
simply because they don't want to but in our day, we were
afraid NOT to do our homework. (Maybe I should speak for myself).
I've heard you say that if you taught school today, you
wouldn't have any behavior problems because you would calmly
"discuss their options" and give them a choice.
WELL, BRING IT ON!! You'd probably end up in
ISS yourself for abandoning school rules in favor of your own.

No comments: